So, you want to find a Cheap Bankruptcy Lawyer in Omaha, Nebraska? Ok, let’s talk about that.
If you are like me, you’re really skeptical about advertisements, infomercials, and smooth sales pitches. Of course, I love a good deal too and am entertained by these ads….because they are so ridiculous. Within the last few weeks, I heard a radio ad that was broadcasting in the Omaha and Council bluffs area from a local car dealership promising to buy your used vehicle for its original MSRP, that is, when it was brand new! Really?
So, if I paid $20,000 for a new car in Omaha in 2005, you are going to give me a trade in credit of $20,000? Seriously, that is what the ad said. I listened to it carefully. Then, near the end of the commercial, a fast speaking voice said again that they would purchase the vehicle for its original MSRP (manufacturer’s suggested retail price) minus mileage. That was the catch! But, the first 90% of the ad sure sounded interesting and exciting. And, I suppose the ad was effective because it got my attention, but, in the end, I made a note to myself to avoid that dealership because they were just getting people that needed or wanted a new car all excited without any real intent of delivering on their tricky promise.
How many times have you heard that? In the Omaha metropolitan area, I have also heard a lot of similar advertisements for people looking for an attorney to help them file bankruptcy. Sometimes the ads come from companies that are not even lawyers. I have heard and seen some real whoppers. But, the real story is behind the scenes.
TOP 10 LIST FOR “CHEAP BANKRUPTCY IN OMAHA, NEBRASKA” ADS:
- We can file a bankruptcy for you in Omaha for $300!
- Find a Cheap Omaha Bankruptcy Lawyer.
- Bankruptcy- Omaha, Nebraska , $299!
- Discount bankruptcy lawyer in Omaha
- Lowest price bankruptcy lawyer, Omaha area
- Affordable Omaha Bankruptcy attorney
- Bankruptcy Relief that you can Afford in Omaha
- Omaha Bankruptcy Attorney – Low Flat Rate – Immediate Debt Relief
- File your own bankruptcy in Omaha without a lawyer. $299 plus court costs!
- Omaha Bankruptcy Lawyer- Lowest fees. We file more than anyone in Omaha, Nebraska
I think you get the point……these are just slick marketing ads to appeal to a person that is truly hurting financially and facing a financial disaster. I can tell you honestly, however, as someone who has practiced as an Omaha bankruptcy attorney for 23 years, that there truly is very little price difference between the various Omaha bankruptcy law firms. There is some difference, but not as much as one would expect. But when there is occasionally a significant price difference, it has been my observation that the less experienced Omaha bankruptcy lawyers charge MORE! Why would that be? Because they don’t have the process down and learning how to do things correctly just takes a lot of time and practice. And, when you make a mistake, it takes time to fix it…..if it can be fixed.
The bottom line about hiring a “Cheap bankruptcy lawyer in Omaha” is that it is just a marketing gimmick. Does that mean that all bankruptcies are expensive? No. In fact, they are quite reasonable considering what is involved.
- The first $400 or so for ANY bankruptcy goes to someone other than your bankruptcy lawyer. Specifically, the Bankruptcy Court gets $306 for a Chapter 7 bankruptcy and $281 for a Chapter 13 bankruptcy.
- Second, most credit reports that are designed just for bankruptcy cases cost about $30.
- Finally, there is a pre-bankruptcy credit counseling course that runs about $49 in most cases. This course is mandatory….you can’t file bankruptcy without it.
- Similarly, there is a second course which is required by law called Financial Management. You take this course after your bankruptcy is filed. The cost of this course is normally $19 per person.
Some Omaha bankruptcy lawyers quote you JUST THE ATTORNEY FEES, and do not include the above costs. So, if they say it will be $900 for attorney fees for a Chapter 7 bankruptcy, the REAL COST might be $1,300 or thereabout. Why not just tell people up front what it is really going to cost them? Answer: Marketing….. After all, you’re looking for the “Cheapest Omaha Bankruptcy Lawyer!” How much down is it for a Chapter 13 bankruptcy? Answer: Normally between $360 and $500 (sometimes higher if it is a very complicated case).
The reason why the bankruptcy attorney can ask for less up front in these cases is that the bankruptcy attorney fees are paid through a Chapter 13 Plan over a period of 3 to 5 years. The average Omaha bankruptcy lawyer Chapter 13 fee runs between $3,300 and $3,800. These fees are set by the bankruptcy court in Nebraska for those attorneys seeking a quick “flat fee” for their services. There are also fee agreements where you only pay for the services you need or use.
Five (5) helpful tips to reduce the cost of filing bankruptcy
Understandably, people needing to file bankruptcy are looking for the best deal possible. there are practical steps that a person can take to meaningfully reduce the cost of their bankruptcy and, at the same time, increase the speed and ultimate successful outcome of their bankruptcy proceeding.
- Get your necessary documents organized and sorted. One of the most important factors regarding the cost of filing bankruptcy is obtaining adequate documentation from the debtor. Thus, if you have all of your necessary documents for filing bankruptcy ready to go, your bankruptcy lawyer will be in a much better position to offer a discount of some level because it will take him or her (and the support staff) less time to prepare everything properly.
- Be completely honest with your attorney. Seasoned bankruptcy attorneys and other bankruptcy professionals (including the judges and trustees) are very good at figuring out financial dealings. They should be because that is all they do. But, piecing together a legal jigsaw puzzle takes time and more legal time results in higher costs. Therefore, to keep your bankruptcy costs down, lay out your entire situation right from the beginning so that your attorney can put together the correct strategy and procedures from the start.
- Move quickly to assemble the necessary information and other requirements. Filing bankruptcy is like taking a picture of a moving train. What is true today may not be true tomorrow and, of course, situations change. For example, if a person qualifies for Chapter 7 right now, he or she may not qualify (due to changes in income or the law) in a month or so. Getting a bankruptcy filed sooner rather than later (when a possible crises occurs) keeps the costs down because there is less tracking and updating required for the attorney. This results in lower fees.
- Take time to understand the bankruptcy process. Educating yourself about the bankruptcy process by reading all of the information that your attorney provides to you and by reading this website. The more knowledgeable you are about the process, the better the process will go and the cheaper the case will be.
- Keep track of deadlines, legal requirements and court dates. By keeping track of your deadlines and requirements, your case will proceed much smoother and efficiently. By being timely with the various deadlines that are everywhere in the bankruptcy world, you will absolutely save on attorney fees.
We Can Help
In conclusion, bankruptcy attorney fees need to be fair and reasonable for the services rendered or else you will likely get burned in the end by someone that is unwilling or unable to provide the service and skill level that will get your case done right the first time and done quickly.
The best bankruptcy advice that I can give anyone is to actually go personally and meet with several Omaha bankruptcy lawyers and determine for yourself who makes the most sense. Obviously, the total cost of the bankruptcy is absolutely a factor in your decision making process. However, most people are surprised to find out that the best choice for a highly skilled Omaha bankruptcy lawyer is not more expensive than the other guy.
Contact us for a free bankruptcy consultation! We’ll walk through your options to determine if bankruptcy is a solid strategy for you and your family.